Manufacture Better Products with a Polyethylene Product
from Our Company in Spartanburg, South Carolina

 

Our Polyethylene Powder & Chemical Manufacturer

A Distinguished Past: a Bright Future

In the early 20th century, brothers John S. and Robert Ambrose Moreland dreamed of leaving the backbreaking work on their farm and in the cotton mill. In 1908, they began manufacturing cotton sizing at their farm near Glendale Mill for the rapidly expanding cotton mills along the Lawson's Fork and Pacolet Rivers in Spartanburg County. The Moreland brothers and partner Samuel Calvert Thomas later decided to move closer to the city of Spartanburg. At the time of incorporation on September 16, 1924, the Moreland Size Company was located at the current location at 314 West Henry Street in Spartanburg, South Carolina. Lady, Moretex Chemical in Spartanburg, SC

In the early 20th century, brothers John S. and Robert Ambrose Moreland dreamed of leaving the backbreaking work on their farm and in the cotton mill. In 1908, they began manufacturing cotton sizing at their farm near Glendale Mill for the rapidly expanding cotton mills along the Lawson's Fork and Pacolet Rivers in Spartanburg County. The Moreland brothers and partner Samuel Calvert Thomas later decided to move closer to the city of Spartanburg. At the time of incorporation on September 16, 1924, the Moreland Size Company was located at the current location at 314 West Henry Street in Spartanburg, South Carolina.

The Moreland Size Company continued to supply sizing and softeners to the cotton mills. With the death of Samuel Thomas on July 12, 1933, and the last surviving Moreland brother, Robert, on March 12, 1939, sole ownership passed into Samuel Thomas' family. Widow Lillie Thomas became the president and her son, Paul Calvert Thomas, general manager. The company name was then changed to the Moreland Chemical Company. Lillie Thomas remained as president through the turbulent years of World War II with her son becoming president with her retirement after the war.

In 1953, management of Moreland Chemical Company included Paul Thomas' 2 sons-in-law, W. Donald Bain, Jr. and Wallace R. Irwin. A decision was made to divide the company into 2 divisions. The manufacturing division would remain at the Henry Street location and the distribution division would move to a more modern space near Camp Croft in Spartanburg County. In 1954, the divisions were separated into 2 independently operating companies. At that time, Wallace Irwin became president of the manufacturing company, renamed Moretex Chemical Products, Inc. Between 1954 and the present, Moretex has had only 2 other presidents. Ned Lee, Wallace Irwin's son-in-law, was president from Mr. Irwin's death in 1989 until his own death in 2003. Page Irwin Lee, Samuel Thomas' great-granddaughter, is the current president. Family-owned by the Irwin and Lee families, Moretex Chemical Products is in the rare position of 100% female ownership. Doctor, Moretex Chemical in Spartanburg, SC
While much of the business is still devoted to supplying the textile industry, Moretex has expanded its products to supply the corrugated, cleaning, and coating businesses as well. Moretex also offers custom toll blending to a varied customer base. For 100 years Moretex has been committed to manufacturing products of the highest standards at a reasonable cost. We are proud of our distinguished past and look forward to a bright future. We would love for you to be a part of our future success!

Contact Moretex Chemical in Spartanburg, South Carolina, at (888) 810-7296
for more details about our company and our polyethylene powder.